Peter Smith wrote:

I gleaned info from this mailing list archive and other websites and configured
my Tomcat to use the Jikes compiler instead of the one from the Sun JDK.
Nothing seems faster, so I must've done something wrong.  Question is - is this
the only way to tell if I'm actually using Jikes - to see if I'm
running/compiling faster??

Yes...

1. remove the work directory
2. Start to compile a page
3. pgrep -f jikes

If it shows up then its working.

If that doesn't work you'll have to do a killall -3 java and look at the stack trace to make sure the right compiler is being used.

In my experience jikes doesn't speed up page compilation much. The problem is that jasper is amazingly slow.

Precompile your JSPs anyway. You'll be amazed at how LONG it takes and then thank yourself for not putting your customers through this torture.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator). Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an invite! Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you should work for Rojo! If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!
AIM/YIM - sfburtonator, Web - http://peerfear.org/