There is nothing to do with Oracle client. All you need is the jdbc driver.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Rhoads [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: December 27, 2004 5:11 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Oracle 9i client connection to 8i database

I always assumed the Oracle client was required. . .

I uninstalled the client and get the same results. With the sid syntax I at
least get an entry in the listener.log:

27-DEC-2004 16:58:11 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=test)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=oracle))) *
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.0.0.4)(PORT=33244)) * establish *

But the app doesn't get a connection. And with the service_name syntax I
only get a connection error:

DatabaseMessageresources: Loading all the messages for the messageMap
NVFactory: _readNVPair expected )
DatabaseMessageresources: SQL EXCEPTION FETCHING MESSAGE
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: NL Exception was generated
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:187)

I've run into a similar problem where the db server was behind the firewall
and the firewall didn't allow high-ports, but in this case both machines are
behind the firewall.

Any other ideas why I might not be able to get a connection?