Hello-

I have been tracking down this problem for a while now and finally have some more information. I am using Tomcat 5.0.28 on RedHat EL 3.0 with JDK 1.4.2_06 and we occasionally find that Tomcat is no longer running in our production server. It runs fine for days, then suddenly the java process disappears. I initially thought the JVM was crashing, but could not find any core files or log messages.

Then someone suggested to me that I install a shutdown hook with Runtime.addShutdownHook to see if somewhere System.exit() is being called. Well, it turns out that it is. Unfortunately, I don't think I can tell in my shutdown hook where the System.exit() call occurred. I have reviewed our application code numerous times looking for System.exit() calls and have not found any.

Is it possible that it is coming from Tomcat itself, or someone is able to issue a shutdown command externally somehow?

Greg