On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:02:28 -0700, Joel McGraw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> For reasons beyond my control, a web application
> (apache/Tomcat/PostgreSQL) that I support will need to be partitioned
> into one context per customer (to support one database per customer).
> I'm wondering:
>
> 1. What the performance implications are (if any) of having up to 300
> contexts in one container?

With Tomcat 5.x, it's ok, it will just use more memory. With 4.x, it's
bad (one background thread per context = 300 background threads).

> 2. Are there any scalability issues of which I should be aware?

- You might have tons of sessions, so increase the VM's memory
- And the usual: one application doing bad things could take the whole
server down, which will be a lot more noticeable for users

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat