Hi,
   I am using Tomcat Container managed security: Basic Authentication by adding
the following to web.xml.

  <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>The Entire Web Application</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/XMLServlet</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>tomcat</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>
 <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>UserDatabase</realm-name>
  </login-config>
  <security-role>
    <description>
      An example role defined in "conf/tomcat-users.xml"
    </description>
    <role-name>tomcat</role-name>
  </security-role>

I have used a form in my jsp:

<form name="update" method="POST" action="/abc/XMLServlet">
<input  type=button name="save_change" value="Save" onclick="saveChange(event)">
<input  type=button name="cancel_change" value="Cancel"
onclick="cancelChange(event)">
<input type=button name="edit" value="Edit" onclick="checkLogin(event)">
</form>

If I click on "Edit" button, the javascript checkLogin will submit the form.
If the user has not logged in, an authentication window will pop up.  After the
first-time authentication, the page is directed to the same page containing the
above form.  I intentionally set setMaxInactiveInterval to be like 10 seconds
in XMLServlet.  When the session expires, I click the "Edit" button again, now
the page directly go to XMLServlet without the authentication window poped up.

Does anyone know what causes this?  How can I get the authentication window pop
up when the session expires?  Thank you for your help.

Gia