I'm running tomcat 5.0.28 on Linux with JRE 1.4.2_04 and I seem to have a memory leak. I am not using Apache, but am using the Coyote connector. The server has been running under heavy load, being accessed by about 150 computers running automated tests. I took heap snapshots about 8 and 20 hours into the test using YourKit Java Profiler. When taking the snapshots, I first paused the system for several minutes, attempted to allocate more memory than was available to cause all collectable objects to be collected, and then took the snapshot. Therefore, the snapshots should contain very few collectable objects, and there should be very few open http connections. The following seems very suspicious:

The last snapshot shows 419 Http11Processor objects referencing 41M of memory. That is an increase of 232 Http11Processor objects.

It also shows 81,829 objects in the org.apache.tomcat.util.buf package, which reference 37M of memory. This is an increase of 44,874 objects.

The buffers and Http11Processor objects appear to be referenced by org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadWithAttributes. I show 425 instances, which is an increase of 225.

The first snapshot was 8 hours into the test, and in reality, I think the system should have reached steady state just a few minutes into the test. But I am obviously accumulating a lot of stuff.

Can somebody help?

Robert Wille