Terry Chung wrote:

I'm running APACHE 2.0.48 with Tomcat 4.1.29 on HP box/os.
I'm running multiple tomcats that are connected to Apache using round-robin
load balancing. All tomcat instances and apache is running on the same HP
box.

This configuration seems a bit strange. If you have only one machine, I see no need to balance load between instances. There is always the maximum load on this machine.

The document I read states that I need a unique CATALINA_HOME for each
tomcat instance.  Is there a way  to have one CATALINA_HOME and have
multiple server.xml file in the conf directory?

If I need individual catalina_home for each tomcat instance, than what is
the minimum sub-directories needed for each catalina_home? i.e., do we need
all of /logs, /webapps, /work, and /temp?

There must only be one unique CATALINA_HOME but individual CATALINA_BASE for each instance. Please read the section "Advanced Configuration" in the file RUNNING.txt which comes with tomcat for instructions.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang