> From: Nikola Milutinovic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Startup
>
> I didn't say it cannot work. It can, but it has been stripped of APIs
> that are provided with 1.5.0, which are not present in 1.4.2.
> Which is why you need that "compat.zip", right?

The three jars in the compat download are jmx, xercesImpl, and xml-apis.  The
5.0.x Tomcat releases include all of these; they were left out of 5.5.x since
Sun now releases them in the 1.5 JRE, and having duplicates in the Tomcat
libraries might cause problems and would create an unnecessarily larger
download for 1.5 users.  Note that the 5.5.x branch does not utilize any 1.5
JRE or language features, and the newly included Java compiler - which is why
you only need a JRE, not a JDK - can't handle 1.5 source (but it sure is fast).

> I'm not sure if there are any other improvements over 5.0.x series,
> other than that.

As I said before - performance.  Check Peter Lin's results, recently published
in this list.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.