1) If you have catalina.jar in the $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/ directory, then it's only going to be available to the Tomcat server internal code, not to your web apps. If you want it to be available to Tomcat and your web apps, then you should put it in the $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/ directory. You don't need to copy it- you can move it there- since that will make it available to Tomcat and all your web apps.

2) As stated in Footnote 19 of the HTTP/1.1 spec, the IANA Character Set Registry (Reynolds, J. and J. Postel, Assigned Numbers <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1700.txt> , STD 2, RFC 1700, October 1994.) is the authoritative listing of charset values. However, I noticed that the API for setDigestEncoding() says that the "String charset" parameter can be null to indicate the platform default character set. I suggest you give that a try when invoking Digest(). Pass it a null String value for the third parameter and see if it works. I think that what you're trying to match is the charset the client browsers will use when the users attempt to authenticate to the realm. If you want to know what your default charset is, invoke getDigestEncoding(). Whatever value is returned is the charset you need all your users to use when they authenticate (or a charset that is compatible within the ranges of characters that the users will be entering). If they will be using other charsets, you should be able to determine what they're using from the "Content-Type" entity header field in the HTTP request message, and then set that charset value for your realm using setDigestEncoding(). The charset will be specified as a parameter value in the "Content-Type" field. For example,

See section 14.17 of the HTTP spec; here's the link:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.17

-Mark

J Malcolm wrote:

I'm writing an app to create user id/pw's in a db for use by realms.  I've
read the realm HOW-TO page.  But I have two implementation questions:

1) the page says:  "To use either of the above techniques, the
$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/catalina.jar file will need to be on your class
path to make the RealmBase class available."  I'm doing this in a servlet.
The way I typically make jar files avail to servlets is to put them in the
WEB-INF/lib dir or in the Tomcat common lib.  I don't think I should be
making a copy of this jar or moving it around.  How do I force a jar into a
webapp's classpath?  Is there a tag I can put in web.xml to set classpath or
add jars?

2) There are three parameters on the Digest() method.  The third parm is
'encoding'.  What encoding should I be using?  I assume it needs to match
whatever encoding the realm code is going to use when it compares the
digested password.  What string do I use for this parm?

Thanks.

Jerry