I'd like to solicit suggestions for debugging Tomcat startup - specifically
various class initializations.

I've written a custom Realm implementation; in it, I use some data access
classes which use iBatis; these classes work great when used in a web
application (all jars residing in the apps WEB-INF/lib); but I'm getting
errors when these classes are initialized from jars in the server/lib
directory at startup.

If you have suggestions for how to debug the startup, especially from an IDE
like Idea, please post.  Also, if there are guidelines for where to place
certain types of jars (common vs. server), please post a link.  Right now
I've got my jdbc jars in common/lib, and my custom Realm and data access
classes (including ibatis related jars) in server/lib.

Thanks for your help,

-Sasha Borodin