Don Hill wrote:

I have a war that has folder like /images and /content, is there a way to config tomcat so that I can package these in jar, I know I can write a custom servlet todo this but I would like this to be handled by the servers servlet container. The reason this is my concern is that I think that the servlet container has a better model for handling request rather than a servlet that has to invoke a openStream, seems this would cause some contention and perf issues.

Just to clarify (not really offering a solution, sorry). The reason why you want to do that is to have some ability like "skins" in Mozilla and other products, right?

I mean, all static content can be a packaged into a WAR file, if packaging is what you need. If you'd like to have skins for your application, even dynamic skins, I'd sugest a servlet that would unpack/remove all static content from a set of JARs. A skin change would:

- unpack a new JAR to a temp dir
- stop or pause the application
- mv "static" dir to some other name
- mv temp dir to "static"
- un-pause application
- cleanup

Access to static content would still be better off being handled through a servlet, how would you expire the old data otehrwise? Imagine half of your skin being new and the other half old...

Nix.