Hello Tomcat-oids,

I'd really appreciate any help with this...Thanks in advance.

We've been running performance tests against Tomcat 4.1.26 on Linux and
Windows. We've tuned heap sizes to -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.

Monitoring the JVM memory usage with a daemon thread calling
Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() / totalMemory() / maxMemory(), we've noticed
memory was never expanded beyond 512MB. Instead, when usage was getting close
to 512MB, we could see the garbage collector kick in. We never got OOM errors.

Can anyone share experiences about this? Do I have to use -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
(which seems to defeat the purpose of having ms and mx...)?

Guillaume