FWIW, I tried this on my Windows XP system, and it worked. I copied the webapps folder with one of its app folders to the system root directory, set appbase="c:\webapps", and it worked.

One observation that may shed some light on your problem. When I first tried it, I only copied my axis webapp folder. When I went to http://localhost:8080/ I got a blank page (not a "Host not found" error). But I could navigate to http://localhost:8080/axis and see the axis web app. Then I copied the "Root" folder from the original webapps directory to the new location, and I got the usual Tomcat startup page when I went to http://localhost:8080/. Did you copy the Root folder over when you tried it?

jesper wrote:

My system is tomcat 5.5.7 on linux mandrake 10.1 with sun java 1.5
my server.xml
/webpps is the original webapps dir, moved to /, to test the absolute path in appBase.. I get 400 no such host
Has anybody, here made it work with an absoulte path, on linux? How?

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<Service name="Catalina">
<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3"/>

<Host appBase="/webapps" name="localhost" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false">

</Engine> </Service>

</Server>