"Greg Baynham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm getting tripped up trying to get tomcat to run JSP code when it's
> installed as a service.  when I access a JSP page I get this error:
>
>  root cause
> Unable to find a javac compiler;
> com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
> Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
>
> However, I have set the environment variables JAVA_HOME and PATH to both
>
> reference my installation of the JSDK.  I have rebooted, but still get
> the
> error.
>
> specifics:
> tomcat 5.0.28
> windows XP home
> JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\bin
> PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Pro
> gram Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System;%JAVA_HOME%

JAVA_HOME should point to the very directory the jdk is installed into.
Set the JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06
You might also want to update your PATH so that it contains %JAVA_HOME%\bin

Your env variables should look like that then:

JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06
PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Progr
am Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

This should make it work.

cheers,
/dd