Unfortunately that is what I do

OutputStream dos = null;
    FileInputStream fis = null;
   try
   {
    fis = new FileInputStream(rf.getPdf());
    response.setContentLength((int) rf.getPdf().length());
    //response.setHeader(response.)
    dos = response.getOutputStream();

    int read = -1;
    byte[] bytes = new byte[100000];
    while((read = fis.read(bytes)) != -1)
     dos.write(bytes, 0, read);
    dos.flush();
    return mapping.findForward("PDF");
   } catch (Exception e)
   {
    // TODO Auto-generated catch block
    if(e instanceof SocketException)
     return mapping.findForward("reload");
    throw new IOException(e.toString());
   }
   finally
   {

    if(dos != null)
     dos.close();
    if(fis != null)
     fis.close();

   }

Acrobat now loads but the PDF doesn't appear.

Probably worth mentioning that I use struts, so I forward to a blank page
with the content type set to application/pdf, maybe that is the problem, but
not sure what else to do with the return.

When I do the same thing with a dynamic image and forward to a page with a
jpg content type, the image appears without a problem.

Steve