Scenario two will be less hassle - unless you need a feature of Apache
HTTP Server.

If you plan to only use Apache HTTP Server as a listener for http
request - it will be better off with the Tomcat alone.

If, for any particular reason, you absolutely wish to use the Apache
HTTP server as the http listener only - you can proxy the request in
Apache to Tomcat. And not bother with mod-jk2.

regards,

Hari Mailvaganam