Joe Plautz wrote:
From what I understand load balancing is done at the router, where clustering is a tomcat setup issue.

Joe

Faine, Mark wrote:

Tomcat 5.0.28

We seem to often have to make minor changes that cause us to have to restart
our tomcat server (the whole server, not just a web application) and this
has lead me to decide to research load balancing. The idea would be to have
two servers that would be exact duplicates. One of the servers would only
become available when the other was not running. This way we could make the
change on server2 (and restart it) and then bring server1 down and make the
change to it as well. This would prevent any real downtime for our users.
Where should I look for info on how to implement this type of failover?
Thanks for your help

-Mark

You can also use an Apache server as a front end to multiple servers/tomcats. I'm not talking about using mod_jk either, but using Apache as a traffic router. It works well, and you will be using mod_rewrite and/or mod_proxy. Check them out.

Wade