From: "Will Hartung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Um...how big is the JSP that you're compiling? Is there perhaps a way to
> make it smaller? Perhaps including some of the static content at runtime
> rather than compile? (I'm trying to fathom a big enough JSP that would
blow
> up the compiler, but who knows.)

Each JSP is tiny, and they get assembled at runtime by Tiles in a Struts
app.  I'm looking in the 'work' directory on my Win2K development box (on
which this webapp works _fine_) and none of the .java files is over 100K.

It's only when I put the .war file on the production HP-UX server that I
have a problem.  So it's probably just another quirk of HP's JVM.  It
wouldn't be the first.  The current machine is on 1.4.2 still, so I'm going
to cross my fingers that it goes away with the 1.5 JVM.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that -Xmx isn't going to help if it forks
a new JVM.  (And there's nowhere to specify how much memory for the forked
JVM??)

Any opinion on my turning fork to false and starting Tomcat with
JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx512M ?  (Knowing that there might be a memory leak and it may
need to be restarted occasionally.)  Is that considered "a lot" of memory
for Tomcat?  Too much?  (The machine has 4G.)  I need to limp along for
another couple of weeks until our scheduled maintenance outage time.

Thanks,
Wendy Smoak