David B Sullivan wrote:

We're running Tomcat 4.1 on Sun Solaris 9, connecting to another Solaris 9 box running Oracle 9.2.0.1 and Java 1.4.2_05. When Tomcat tries to connect to the DataBase, it crashes, with the log file shown below. We can point Tomcat at another DataBase, same versions of everything, and it works fine. We can point to this DataBase from another server, with everything being the same and that works too. Not being knowledgeable of Tomcat or reading the traceback information, I really don't know where to start looking.... We're locked into versions because of the Application, so I really need to get this Version working. Can anybody tell me what this log file is saying?? Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
cat hs_err_pid2578.log

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0xEF8EDD88
Function=[Unknown. Nearest: vcharSizedNormalizeUTF+0x460]
Library=/usr/local/matrix/1052/RMI/lib/solaris4/libvgalaxy-unicode.so.7

Current Java thread:
       at com.matrixone.jni.MatrixKernel.dbStartup(Native Method)
       at com.matrixone.jni.MatrixKernel.getKernel(MatrixKernel.java:47)

This sounds like you're using Oracle's JDBC driver that is not Type-4 (pure Java). It is crashing in one of the external libraries. The immediate remedy is to use a pure Java JDBC driver.

Nix.