So the proper location for a Cluster element is inside
a Host element?

Host

Does this mean I need to
have a separate Cluster element for each virtual host?

yes, unfortunately, the better solution is to do the virtual hosting in your
apache server.
That way you only need one cluster config.

Filip

Mark Eggers wrote:

I'm looking at clustering and have a few questions.

1. In the documentation, the Cluster element is shown
as a child of the Engine element.  In the example
server.xml  the Cluster element is shown in the Host
element.

When I put the Cluster element in the Host element, I
get clustering messages in catalina.out.  I don't get
this if I put the Cluster element in the Engine
element.

So the proper location for a Cluster element is inside
a Host element?

2. There is a statement concerning number of threads
would be optimal if it matched the number of nodes.  I
am fronting Tomcat with Apache/mod_jk.  Would the
number of nodes be the maximum clients I have
configured for Apache times the number of Apache
servers that can hit this Tomcat server?

I am looking at having several virtual hosts running
under one Tomcat instance.  Does this mean I need to
have a separate Cluster element for each virtual host?

Thanks for helping me get started on this.

/mde/