you need to set
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9998

check the last two as I can't remember the precise syntax. if youwant password authentication read the doc

andy gordon wrote:
Thank you for the info but I don't think it helped. Your insight is valued. I set an environment variable called JAVA_OPTS to -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9998 and started tomcat using startup.bat. The cmd window opened and closed. Meaning tomcat didn't start. Suggestions? I have not done anything else at this point with respect to enabling JMX remote. Thank you - andy

Tim Funk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#properties

-Tim

andy gordon wrote:

Help, How do you set up JMX remote for Tomcat 5.5.9? For instance where do you specify the JVM startup option -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9998 that enables remote monitoring and management?