I've encountered a strange problem with my JSPs in Tomcat. Whenever I
change one of them, then try to access it from the browser, I get the
following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:249)

root cause

javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlBaseTLV.validate(JstlBaseTLV.java:152)

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlCoreTLV.validate(JstlCoreTLV.java:96)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.validate(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:750)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validateXmlView(Validator.java:1527)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Validator.validate(Validator.java:1495)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:157)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:286)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:556)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:293)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.9 logs.

I don't have the foggiest idea what that means, but when I stop and
restart Tomcat, everything usually works fine (until the next time I
change the file.)

I'd send relevant source code, but it seems to happen with every page
in multiple applications. I've posted this in several forums and have
yet to even get a reply. This is driving me batty! Any ideas?