Sorry did not read properly..

Have you tried:

for JARs:  $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib or $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
for .class: $CATALINA_HOME/server/classes or $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes

From: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

*Lifecycle Listeners*

   If you have implemented a Java object that needs to know when this
   *Context* is started or stopped, you can declare it by nesting a
   *Listener* element inside this element. The class name you specify
   must implement the |org.apache.catalina.LifecycleListener|
   interface, and it will be notified about the occurrence of the
   coresponding lifecycle events. Configuration of such a listener
   looks like this:

<Context path="/examples" ...>
 <Listener className="com.mycompany.mypackage.MyListener" ... >
</Context>

   Note that a Listener can have any number of additional properties
   that may be configured from this element. Attribute names are
   matched to corresponding JavaBean property names using the standard
   property method naming patterns.

Mark Benussi wrote:

Thanks Darryl but I need to implement a LifecycleListener. You have implemented a ServletContextListener which only gets called when the Content is started. I need to know when its finished, which is why I am using a LifecycleListener which should be placed in the server.xml