Hi and thank you both for your replies. It turns out more than the HTTP port
number needs to be different, as <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
was common to both and thus causing the problem. Apart from being an
attribute of the parent node, what is this port?

Rgds

Paul.

It sounds like you have them running on the same port.
 Either the connector 8005 is the same for both or the 8080 is still being
used by both.  The bind exception is a socket server exception telling you
both instances are trying to use the same port number some where.

Wade

--- Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>       I am trying to achieve not the unimaginable, I thought - to have one

> instance of Tomcat (5.5) running on port 80, and one
> - also 5.5 (using the
> same JAVA_HOME) running on port 8080 on the same box (Win XP). They
> both start up independently and load on localhost / localhost:8080
> just fine. But when one is started, the other will not start up and
> logs the below message.
> The one is started as a service, the other a .bat:
>
> set CATALINA_HOME=jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9
> call %CATALINA_HOME%/bin/startup.bat
>
> I thought it may be a conflict of CATALINA_HOME, but as one is
> installed as a service, I see no reference to the variable in the
> registry.
>
> Any thoughts please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.
>
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
> JVM_Bind
>       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native
> Method)
>       at

java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
>       at
> java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
>       at
> java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:346)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:600)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:560)
>       at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>       at

> )
>       at

> .java:25)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)