The spec is actually pretty striaghtforward to read. If you insist reading
books other than the spec, I would recommend Sun's Core JSTL, Core JSF or
Manning's JSTL in Action.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Plautz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: August 11, 2005 12:31 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: OT: JSTL and JSF book recommendations

Starting out, I suggest the Core Servlets and JavaServer Pages by Marty
Hall to gain an understanding of the Java EE web technologies. It's
about as good of a book as I've seen on any technical subject matter,
particularly for a beginner. I still reference it after several years.

For JSF I have both the O'Reilly book and the Core JSF books. I wouldn't
say one is particularly better than the other, but both need a working
knowledge of underlying technologies to make total sense. I have the
first editions of them both though, so they are a bit behind the game on
the latest and I believe second editions on each are available. I also
suggest going here

http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=427

it's the official JSF forum, you'll get lots of information from it.

David Boyer wrote:
> We're using Tomcat 5.5.9, and I'm looking for good books (or other
> resources) for learning JSTL and JSF. These will be for a person with a
novice-level understanding of Java and Tomcat, so I'd like something that
will take him from beginner to intermediate (or better). He'll be learning
Java at the same time.