--- nitin dubey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am getting special characters when we enter spaces
> during formatting a text in a textarea.  It used to
> work perfectly in our development environment but
> when
> we moved it to production we get 'Â' character for
> every repeated blank space.
>
> The only thing changing in development and prodution
> is OS from Windows to Linux(Production).  I just
> want
> to know if anyone has faced this problem anytime
> developing their applications.
>
> Development Environment:
> OS:Windows 2K
> Browser: IE5.5+, Firefox1.0+
> Database: MYSQL (on Linux Server)
> ServletContainer: Tomcat(On windows Server)
>
> Production Environment:
> Database: MYSQL (on Linux Server)
> ServletContainer: Tomcat(On Linux Server)
>
> Note:I am also using FCKEditor for editing the
> content.   But they say its not the problem with
> FCKEditor.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Nitin

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You're getting the characters where?  Is this in your
java code or after you put into the database then read
back out?  For your MySQL connection you will probably
want to set the encoding.  See it's connection
parameters....if it's after putting the data into the
database.  I've seen this happen before.  You're
default encodings are probably different.  Also if you
are using a Reader to parse anything as a "stream"
then you will want to setup some config to set your
encoding there as well.  Is this maybe after pasting
from Word, or is this in IE using an encoding on the
page or are you using an encoding with your form?
You'll need to use the same encoding every where.
JSP, Readers, MySQL, etc.

Wade