Paul Austin wrote:

It seems that Tomcat 5.5 discourages you from putting contexts in the
server.xml, and that is something that is a good idea as it's easier to
manage them when they are outside. But the context path is only
supported when you put it in the server.xml so you can't deploy the wars
to any other path other than the name of the context file so deploying
to /apps/admin.

right. ideally i'd not put the context definition in server.xml. but deploying my webapp at the root path is more important to me (i'm operating in a pretty specific context and don't have to worry much about additional webapps being deployed into the container).

i saw the suggestion for adding a ROOT webapp that forwards to the true webapp, but that seems silly. hopefully the folks who made this design decision can speak up and explain it.

I know there is the special ROOT.xml for the root context but that
doesn't solve the sub path issue which no one seems to know the answer
to.

i don't recall seeing any references to a ROOT.xml. i tried renaming my context xml file to ROOT.xml (within conf/Catalina/localhost of course) but it did not seem to have been processed (requests to / gave that same 400 error).