Please help a little more; I am not sure what you mean.

The <error-page> directive as documented in SRV.9.9.2 of
the 2.4 servlet spec mentions that we can nominate a custom
error page, otherwise I understand we get Tomcat's default
one.

But we want *no* error page, just a 404 status returned to
the browser, which will then presumably present this failure
to the user in its own way.  Or have I musunderstood 404s?

Exactly what <error-page> element will achieve this, and
where should we call ...setStatus(...NOT_FOUND)?

Paul Singleton

Mirek Stohr wrote:
You should use the following procedure

HttpServletResponse.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_NOT_FOUND);

in cooperation with the mentioned <error-page> directive in web.xml.

              Mirek

L. Mohan Arun wrote:

Tomcat 4.1
How can I configure Tomcat 4 to return HTTP status code 404 for a "404 Page Not Found" error? Currently it displays a HTML page with "Error type" etc. with status code 200.

The docs say <error-page> element in web.xml can be configured to serve another page in response to a 404 error but this is not what I want (because it will return a 200 OK status). I want the actual error code 404 to be returned to the client and HTTP status code 404 (Page not found).

Mohan Arun