Unfortunately no. Not only you have to rewrite all your calls to the
session, you also have to rewrite all 3rd-party taglibs like struts,
tapestry, pager, jstl or whatever you are using. Each getAttribute must
become synchronized.
It is simply not possible to fix it, without patching tomcat.

Regards
Leon