Jilles van Gurp wrote:

Why aren't you using setContentType("text/html, "utf-8") on the response?

As I use jsp, I don't know how can I control the response that way.

What content-type is the server actually returning (use the live http headers extension for firefox or something similar to find out).

I couldn't find if this extension is installed, or how to install it.
In the page info :

Type: text/html
Encoding: UTF-8

Meta:
Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8

What database and jdbc driver are you using? What method are you using to store the string in the database?

I use mysql 4.1.14 + connector 3.1.10
the url for the driver is: "jdbc:mysql://"+Utils.getServerName()+":3306/"+Utils.getDatabaseName()+"?characterEncoding=UTF-8&characterSetResults=UTF-8"

the tables definitions:
ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

I've had utf-8 trouble with several databases. For example mysql 4.1 + the latest jdbc driver + setCharacterStream had some strange effects. First of all you need to tell mysql to use utf-8 (it defaults to something else) and even if you do that setCharacterStream has some issues that go away if you use setString. Oracle on the other hand cannot insert strings larger than 4KB with setString so you need to use setCharacterStream. Incidently, the mysql driver implementation of setCharacterString is implemented using setString!

I use Statement class executeUpdate(String str) method to update and executeQuery(String str) to query the database.

Regards,

Jilles

Yair Zohar wrote:

sorry for the double mail,
I forgot to add my server.xml encoding definitions:

port="8080" URIEncoding="UTF-8" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"
          minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
              enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

I tried it with and without the useBodyEncodingForURI="true"directive.
Yair.