On Monday 26 September 2005 19:32, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Monday 26 September 2005 16:51, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I am trying to set up a webdav application on a machine running Tomcat
> > 5.5.
> >
> > The effect I want to create is that anyone can use
> > to read files, but only those who have logged on should be able to use
> > webdav to create, update or delete files from the folder.
> >
> > I tried to do this by copying the web.xml file from the webdav WEB-INF
> > folder into the <app>/WEB-INF directory, and also creating a Context file
> > in conf/Catalina/localhost/><app>.xml as I want to authenticate those who
> > are having to log on against a database (using JDBCRealm).
> >
> > But having set all this up I have obviously got something messed up as in
> > catalina.out it complains about a NullPointerException, and says the
> > problem happened while processing the default web.xml, at line 5 row 56.
> > Now I take it that this is actually NOT refering to the default web.xml
> > in the conf directory, as it is only this application that is hit (the
> > others including the webdav one initialise correctly).  I assume it is
> > actually refering to the one for this webapp.  But what is odd is that
> > line 5 is in the middle of a comment, which my xml editor says is quite
> > correctly formed.
> >
> > It is a shame that when putting out such messages the real file name
> > that it is processing is not included, and the line of text it is parsing
> > is not included.
> >
> > The other thing that is odd is that the call stack trace suggests that it
> > is not the web.xml file it is processing, but rather then context file.
> > I assume this out because it talks about functions called:-
> >
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processContextConfig(ContextCon
> >fi g.java:778)
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.contextConfig(ContextConfig.jav
> >a: 718)
> > org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.init(ContextConfig.java:974)
> >
> > If it is my context file, that does have something to parse at line 5,
> > and it reads:-
> >
> > <Context>
> >   <Realm classname="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
> > driverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
> >          connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql:authority" connectionName="david"
> > connectionPassword=""
> >          userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
> > userCredCol="user_pass" userRoleTable="roles" roleNameCol="role_name">
> >     </Realm>
> >   </Context>
> >
> > and for the life of me I can not see what is wrong with line 5 of that -
> > although that is the last line so perhaps it is just an error somewhere
> > in the Realm tag.  The Postgresql driver is in common/lib, the db exists
> > and has those tables and columns in them.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > David

> Well it would seem that my suspicions are correct, the problem is with
> [...]
Is no-one else using Realms in application contexts?  My guess is that I am
doing something simple wrong, but for the life of me I can not spot it.

So I guess I should file a bug as Tomcat should not report that the error
is in web.xml when it is a context file, and should not trap with a
NullPointerException with no explanation.

David