This question is part tomcat and part java; I'm running on a Windows 2000 server.

I have a situation where I am going to need to run multiple instances of tomcat on a single machine, listening on different ports, but running the same application and hitting a different instance of an identical database (same schema, but on a different server). So what I will need to do is be able to tell each instance of the application on its respective instance of tomcat which database to hit. Can I pass a parameter into tomcat from a conf file based on what port that instance of tomcat is listening on, and then get that parameter into my application? If so, how?

Another option is for my application to grab the machine name and port that it is handling, and hit a "common" database to get the information on what copy of the production to use. But again, I need my app to be able to find port information from tomcat, and I don't know how to do that.

It seems like a 3rd option might be to run each instance of tomcat as a service, logged on with different accounts, and use a user DSN instead of a system DSN, with the same DSN name, but different connection info. Is that possible?

If necessary, I could install multiple instances of my app at different context paths, but I still don't know how to tell them to pick up the correct database connection info. I guess I could make a code change in the first page they hit, the logon.jsp, for each instance, but I'd rather not have to do that unless there really is no other way, because that would be easy to screw up when making changes later on...

Any suggestions as to which of the above approaches would be the best, or another one I haven't thought of?

Thanks!
DAve