Yep. It's a FAQ, but not in the FAQ.

Tomcat not quitting generally means your webapp has started a non-daemon thread which does not exit when the webapp is destroyed. If so, shut them down in a ServletContextListener.

If you aren't explicitly creating threads in your webapp then the usual culprits are database connections that haven't been closed (or any other client api to remote services that uses asynchronous messaging and/or keepalive semantics).

To see a dump of the threads still active after you've run shutdown.bat do a CTRL-BREAK in the tomcat dos console.

HTH,

Jon

Charles Fineman wrote:
I started Tomcat using startup.bat. Everything goes fine. I use
shutdown.batto bring it down. The server fields the request and shuts
down a bunch of
services (as evidenced by the messages I see). Sure enough, the server no
longer responds to any requests. Unfortunately, the java process does not
die.

I have this problem whether I start Tomcat by hand or if I use the Sysdeo
Eclipse plugin.

This problem has been a thorn in my side for some time but since it only
affects my development environment (we use it as a service in production and
there are no problems) and I can kill the process by hand, I've not worried
about it. It's annoying as heck though and I'm wondering if someone can shed
some light.

I searched around but (surprisingly!!) I didn't find anything similar to my
situation.