Hello,

I am currently trying to implement a system which sends me an email if the site
ever has an exception (not that it ever will of course!). To this end I have
inserted a simple exception into my code and when I run the code in Tomcat
there is no stack trace! Either in the HTML of the JSP or in the console! I
simply did:

String nullStr = null;
nullStr.trim();

both in a servlet and in a JSP and neither seem to have any effect. Going to
other applications that I am working on at the moment I can cause a stack trace
in them no problem.

Under what conditions (if any) will Tomcat swallow the output of an exception
(a stack trace)?

Thanks in advance,

Andoni.