I have never seen that the getRemoteUser method you are referring to
returned something userful, or just something other then null. Taken
in account different browsers, proxies, internet-cafes... I don't
think it's possible.
On the other hand, why do you need that? As a matter of security this
will not work, because an intruder will simply use a patched browser
and a proxy. Maybe if you  tell us what you trying to achieve, we can
provide you a better solution.

regards
leon