> From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [OT] How much RAM can java use
>
> Does anyone know for sure how much RAM I can use with JAVA 1.4 or 1.5?

The answer is very platform specific.  For example, on a normal 32-bit
Windows system, each process has a maximum of 2 GB to play with, but
some of that is taken up by various .dlls.  (And unfortunately, these
are scattered throughout the range, and the Sun JVM insists on having
contiguous space for the heap.)  There is a boot option for some
versions of Windows Server that changes the process virtual space to 3
GB, at the expense of some kernel capacity.

I've seen 64-bit Sparc systems with Java heaps sized at hundreds of
megabytes...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.