Rob Hills wrote:

I started getting exceptions saying no connections were available on my JDBC
datasource  (org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver).  The pool was definitely large enough
to handle the load.  So it appears that I'm not freeing the all the
connections as I should.  I noticed that I did not have the
'removeAbandoned' flag set on the Resource tag.  Changing that has
apparently fixed the out of connections problem.  But I really want to clean
up the code and fix it the right way.  I've got the close() statements in
place.  But obviously, I'm missing some of them somewhere.  Is there any
process for logging/tracking allocating and freeing connections (and absence
thereof.), available connections, etc?  Or are there any methods I can call
to give me this type of debug info?  What's the recommended way to debug
this?

There have already been useful tips on debugging, but I've found that the most common way to chew up connections is to not put the code that frees the conneciton inside a finally {} block. If you don't free the connection in a finally {} block, it may not be freed if an exception occurs.

My understanding of finally is that it's ALWAYS executed, (even if something in any block (try or catch) does a return statement). So I would say "finally" is good practice to close both Statement handles and Database Connection handles. My first mistakes were in not closing statement handles this leaves resources open on handles that affect how the database connection can be reclaimed. I was used to closing the database connection and expecting the open statement or resultset to be mopped up right away. But if you think about it for a moment these resources might also be open on the SQL server through the connection and the GC takes a while to reclaim.

try {
// code 1
} catch(FooException e) {
// code 2
} finally {
// code 3
}
// code 4

No exception execution is: code1 + code3 + code4 + end_of_func
Caught FooException: code1 + code2 + code3 + return
Uncaught Exception: code1 + code3 (thrown to callee)

This is confirmed in my Just Java 2 (6th Edn) page 215.

On another matter I am using Apache DBCP and am finding that it does not seem to use the pooled connections, it always created a new connection to the MySQL server, even if there are a number of already existing free connection. I am using a JNDI binding so the auth credentials should be working. I am still in development with the application.

<Resource name="jdbc/foobar" auth="Container" scope="Shareable"
       type="javax.sql.DataSource"
       factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
       url="jdbc:mysql://mysql.domain.com:3306/databasename"
       driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" username="sqlusername"
       password="sqlpassword" maxWait="3000" maxIdle="2" maxActive="90"
       removeAbandonedTimeout="5" removeAbandoned="true" />

I too had to add extra flags in to get a stage connection pooler but believe there is something broken in DBCP that stops is re-using connections like it should. This has simply covered over the problem. Maybe we can get together and compare notes, any ideas how to enable verbose logging of DBCP so I can confirm the application is doing what it should ?

I am using Hibernate3 have confirmed everytime that my servlet filter is closing the session and thus returning the connection back to DBCP like it should, the connection from MySQL "SHOW PROCESSLIST" are still connected and thus in the pool. But the next servlet request always opens a new connection, when I dont think it should, it should use the one already in the pool.

Darryl

--
Darryl L. Miles