To answer some questions below:

Perfectly means it is our production tomcat server.  It performs all the
functions required and is accessed from the legacy webserver.

Getting images from the path http://webserver/PI/image.png.  We have no
direct access linked to tomcat instances on the their ports.

The Tomcat and Webserver will be on the same server.

JkShmFile seems to be for unix installs where this resides on RedHat
Linux EL3.  I can add it if it is required for linux.

Jkmount directives are not "new" but from a 4.1.24 Tomcat and Jk_mod
that was upgraded.  I will make the changes to be consistent with the
deployed version of Tomcat.

I have 4 workers setup.  1 points to a running 4.1.24 tomcat supporting
an application to be replaced soon I hope.  1 to a separate port on the
4.12.24 tomcat server for one specific application because I was asked
to set it up that way.  1 to the current production tomcat server.  And
one that is for testing and uses the same settings as the production but
I can edit and change as I need to make things work.

I am a bit frustrated as I have not done much to make things "break."  I
copied the config files and edited the httpd.conf to be consistent with
the legacy install.  This is the only part that does not work.

"If Apache's DocumentRoot does not correspond to Tomcat's appBase, then
any static files contained in the application will not be served by
Apache without some more Apache configuration changes."  Can you give me
an example of this?