At 02:02 PM 4/17/01 -0700, you wrote:
>the user who owns the Tomcat process doesn't have the OS permission for the
>file
>
>this can be fixed using the "chmod" command
>
>Filip

Thanks for the suggestion. That would be the logical first thing to check,
and I've certainly made
my share of mistakes of that sort in the past, but that's not the
issue in this case, for the following reasons:
1) Tomcat was started via the sudo command, and has root permissions
2) I also get a read exception in another place, yet the files/directories
are globally readable
3) The whole problem goes away when the permissions in the tomcat.policy
file are thrown wide open as follows:

grant
{
   permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

There's probably something very basic that's set up wrong, but I'm not
seeing it.

Ed