The WAR file is strictly a webapp deployment mechanism.
The WAR file is a jarred archive of the entire webapp.

If all you want to do is put your sevlets in a jar file, you need to
place the file in the WEB-INF/lib directory.
When Tomcat starts up, it will find all classes in the WEB-INF/classes
directory, and all JAR files in the WEB-INF/lib directory.

Ed

--

Ed Gomolka
([EMAIL PROTECTED])