I compiled Apache 1.3.19 a couple of weeks ago.
I set up a script to do my configuration.
This is the contents of my script file:

#!/bin/sh
./configure \
--with-layout=GNU \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--sysconfdir=/etc/httpd \
--datadir=/var/www \
--logfiledir=/var/log/httpd \
--enable-module=most \
--enable-shared=max

Most of it has to do with directives on where I wanted to place various
items (I didn't like the default locations).
This was my first time compiling Apache, so there may well be better ways to
do it, but this approach worked for me.
After compiling, I rebuilt mod_jk.so using apxs, and everything was great.

Ed
([EMAIL PROTECTED])