Some pointers:

1) The mod_jk.so version supplied with the Tomcat RPM's
at http://rpmized.free.fr should work just fine with RedHat 6.2 regardless
of whatever messages it may spew out, as long as you stick to the standard
Red Hat 6.2 rpms for Apache (no self-compiled Apache - mod_jk is very sensitive
to environmental changes). (If you have another
Linux version, such as Mandrake, you'll need to compile your own mod_jk.so.)

2) apxs is not in the standard Apache RPM.
     You'll find it in the apache-dev rpm.

3) How do you perform your mod_jk make once you have apxs available?
     Are you located in the correct directory?
     In my case, I navigated to jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1-src/src/native/apache1.3,
     and issued the command:

/usr/sbin/apxs -o mod_jk.so -c -I /usr/java/java2/include -I
/usr/java/java2/include/linux -I ../jk *.c ../jk/*.c

Hope this helps.
Ed
([EMAIL PROTECTED])