From: Thom Park [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 7:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3.2.1 Dies

I wasn't able to check for dead threads - My symptom was that the tomcat
process
would 'hang' and no longer process connections.

I never got it to crash per se, but it sure stopped on me real good...

Increasing the pool size resolved the problem, specifically the
following
parameters (neatly copied from the tomcat users guide)

           <Parameter
                 name="max_threads"
                 value="30"/>
             <Parameter
                 name="max_spare_threads"
                 value="20"/>
             <Parameter
                 name="min_spare_threads"
                 value="5" />

The values were arbitrary - I stuck mine up to max_threads = 200,
max_spare_threads=20, min_spare_threads=20
and lo - the hang problem  went away.

It seems to me that when tomcat (3.2.1) get's pressed for thread
resources, it
doesn't do a very good job of recovering from this.
I would have thought that having a min_spare_threads set to some
non-zero value,
that there would still be some spare threads for clean up
work to be performed but, as far as I can tell, when you max out your
threads,
your stuck pending a reboot.

-Thom

--