You need to set up server.xml on the machine that will be running tomcat
so that it'll be listening on whatever port.  For example:

<Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
  <Parameter name="handler"
   value="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler"/\>
  <Parameter name="port" value="8009"/>
</Connector>

Then you need to set up a worker.properties file ON THE APACHE box. This
isn't very clear in the documentation (I figured it out yesterday.  :)).

Since my apache machine doesn't have tomcat on it, I just made a
directory in /etc/tomcat/conf and stuck my worker.properties file there.
It'll need to look something like this:

# you can name these workers whatever you want, just make sure you match
# it below in the worker.[worker name].port, etc definitions
worker.list=worker1

# make sure this matches the port number you used in your server.xml in
# the other machine
worker.worker1.port=8009
# this is the IP address or host name of your tomcat machine
worker.worker1.host=192.168.1.31
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
# I think that the lbfactor will be optional for you -- I actually have
# tomcat running two instances and then use a load balancer worker to
# use both.
#worker.worker1.lbfactor=1
worker.worker1.cachesize=10

Then you'll need to set up your httpd.conf to use mod_jk and redirect
the the appropriate things to your tomcat machine.

For example:

LoadModule jk_module  modules/mod_jk-eapi.so
AddModule mod_jk.c
JkWorkersFile /etc/tomcat/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /var/log/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel error
# use the worker name that you defined in worker.properties
# if you decide to use a load balancing worker, then send things
# to the load balacing worker, and it'll figure out which instance
# to send it to.
JkMount /*.jsp worker1

That should do it.  Good luck!  :)

Cheers,