From: Pier Fumagalli [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 10:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Welcome to the Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q. on-line forum.

In the effort of better managing our resources Apache wide, and specifically
in our case in the scope of the Jakarta project, here is a little new
addition to our set of "tools". A web-based forum system.

Some of you have asked "why" do we need a forum, aren't our mailing lists
enough to support our needs? My reply is simple, we need both.

The on-line forum, first of all, allows you do a couple of nifty things that
people asked: search messages in an intelligent way (our mail archives
already do so, but most of the time, the precision of their search engine is
not, well, the best you can get).

Plus, each question there is organized and threaded better than any Email
client can do (there is a big discussion about how to interpret the
In-Reply-To header, and some popular email clients "forget" to include it in
messages), and the topics are way more visible than on a mailing list with
an average of more than 200 messages a day.

There are some more features, like: wouldn't it be nice to be able to be
notified and receive replies only to MY particular question, avoiding all
the other hundreds of emails that flow daily to your mail client? Well, a
web forum allows you to do that, you can create a thread, the one with your
little particular problem, and "watch it", being notified via email about
what replies I got only to my problem. Or looking and being notified about
that little problem I had and was reported by another guy... All that can be
done only thru a well-managed forum, and the current internet-mail system is
not sufficient to achieve that.

And PLUS, every message you send thru the web-forum is actually "mirrored"
on our mailing list (I'm still figuring out how to do the opposite, but
given enough brainpower -which I don't have at the moment - I'm sure I can
do that!), so everyone will see it (nope, you won't loose visibility, and
you don't have to post your messages twice).

I just a couple of little favors to ask you all. If you see a message coming
from the web-forum (and you will recognize it by the lines at the bottom of
the message, take this one for example), and you want to reply, don't simply
hit "reply" on your client, but instead click on the link at the bottom, and
respond on-line. Your message will be archieved, stored, and you won't have
to reply to the same question anymore. And if you want to reply to someone
on the list, before doing so, check whether the same question has already
been answered on the forum. The more we use it now, the less we'll have to
use it in the future.

Last little question, please, if you see something wrong or offensive on the
forum, please notify <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and we'll be
able to remove it...

Thanks for listening...

    Pier

This message has been posted through the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q.
on line forum, and can be seen at:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=3>
For more informations about the on-line Jakarta forums, please go to:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/>
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be
legally privileged. No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any transmission in error.  If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that any use,
printing, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited.
Please delete this email and any attachments, without
printing, copying, forwarding or saving them and notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail.  Zurich Capital Markets
and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Unless otherwise
stated, any pricing information in this e-mail is indicative
only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer
to enter into any transaction at such price and any terms in
relation to any proposed transaction are indicative only and
subject to express final confirmation.