Hi James-
first, my disclaimer: I'm a C++, Visual C++, ATL, COM, DCOM guy, so I'm by
no means a TC Guru, in fact considering the problems I've had with TC and
Java, I hate the entire Java scene, but aside from that here's what I did:

I downloaded and extracted the JDK 1.1.8 program to my root drive C:\ ,

open a command prompt and (for win95 / 98) type

SET CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;C:\...\...\*.jar (where C:\...\...\*.jar    is the
path to any jar files that you want included, if you need several *.jar
files in your classpath each entry must be a fully qualified path to the
target jar file and each seperate FQP (fully qualified path) must be
seperated by a ; (no spaces)
the press enter when the edits are finished

(still at the command prompt) you can type cls to clear the screen then type
set and press enter to double check that the classpath edits were successful

find the javac.exe program, copy your *.java  file to the same directory and
type
javac.exe myProgram.java

if the compilation is successful you will be returned to the command prompt,
if not then the code needs changes.