Howdy,
Thanks for the reply ;)  I'd actually figured it out, and it was
that evil "don't have more than one Servlet/JSP jar in your classpath"
issue ;)  (I totally agree with that requirement, by the way).
Turns out the weblogic.jar that's packaged with Weblogic Server 6.0
has javax.servlet and javax.servlet.jsp, older versions than tomcat's,
of course, in it.  Had to repackage the JAR, but problem is solved.

Yoav