From: Larry Isaacs
Subject: RE: Config Problem : VirtualHost, mod_rewrite and mod_jk
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 06:12:36 -0800

----

Hi Geir,

Concerning mod_rewrite, there was a lot of discussion about
what mod_jk should do about the Servlet 2.2's requirement that
HttpServletRequest.getRequestURI() return a URI that *remains*
encoded.  So that it *remains* encoded, the mod_jk in Tomcat 3.2.3
forwards the "unparsed" request to Tomcat.  This prevents
mod_rewrite from having an effect since it modifies the
"parsed" request.

To bring mod_rewrite back online, mod_jk in Tomcat 3.2.4
forwards a re-encoded version of the "parsed" request
(sacrificing "remains" in favor of functionality).

In Tomcat 3.3, this is configurable, though this hasn't
yet made it into the documentation. :(

In the mod_jk configuration file, you can set the following
options to control which request is forwarded to Tomcat.

    JkOptions ForwardURICompat+

forwards the "parsed" URI as is.  Tomcat 3.3 will re-encode
the request for getRequestURI().  This is the default
behavior.

    JkOptions ForwardURICompatUnparsed+

forwards the "unparsed" URI and Tomcat 3.3 will return
this string unmodified for getRequestURI().  This best
matches the spec, but breaks mod_rewrite.  This matches
Tomcat 3.2.3's mod_jk behavior.

    JkOptions ForwardURIEscaped+

forwards the re-encoded "parsed" URI and Tomcat 3.3 will
return this string unmodified for getRequestUR().  This
matches Tomcat 3.2.4's mod_jk behavior.

I'll try to add some documentation concerning this in the
Tomcat 3.3 release.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Larry