This was corrected some time ago, i dont remember if 3.3 final was
released having correct docs, but at least in
<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/JDBCRealm-howto.html>
the docs are correct so.. for sure 3.3.1 will have correct docs..

> order for this
> to work I have had to copy tomcat_modules.jar and
> tomcat_util.jar to the
> /WEB-INF/lib directory of the application.
>
> This can't be right... can it?

Well, if your webapp needs something in these jars, why not ? :-)

i can be wrong, but i dont see ( given the classloaders separation
scheme that 3.3 plays ) nothing harmful in putting this jars in your own
app,

you can too, simply cut&paste de digest method in one of your classes,
it's unlikely for this code to change in future, some threads was
talking about to add a binary Digest, but nothing so far, and of course
if digest changes, we will have compelling reasons to maintain backward
compatibility with regads to password format..

so do what you like :)

> So in short my question is, how can I call tomcat and get it to return
> the encrypted password?

There is no provision in the spec for this kind of calls to container,
the way you are doing things seems correct to me.

> Thanks
>
> Michael

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega