Although we currently are not using tomcat
this is how we would use it:

/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2
/usr/local/java/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
  Here we have the original distribution.

/www/online/<domain>/
  conf/
    Here we have our edited config files for the site
  bin/
    Here we have scripts that sets following env vars
    to start and stop tomcat:
      JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
      CATALINA_HOME points to the tomcat version
      we wan to use for a given site. (We have one
      server per site)
      CATALINA_BASE points to the base directory of
      the site

As long as the config files are backward compatible
you can upgrade and downgrade by changing CATALINA_HOME
in the script(s).

If you have to upgrade config files it get's complicated.
Using CVS (or other tools like that) can help with that,
but depending on the nature of the upgrade this can
become a great burden.

<snip/>
> I think this problem is common to everyone because tomcat
> is a servlet engine which is in constant evolution.
> So for example I have apache + tomcat 4.0.2 with my web applications
> under /webapps: how can I upgrade to tomcat 4.0.3, which
> solves some bugs, without reinstalling all ( and configure
> workers.properties, servlet.xml, web.xml, ........) ?
<snip/>